Wednesday, February 9, 2011

all dogs go to heaven... and people too

I was looking for a book to buy with one of the two gift cards that I have and I stumbled across this book about this little boy Colton. According to the book, or the synopsis of the book that I've read he died and went to heaven and came back to talk about it. It is kind of interesting to think about the potential of someone being able to die, visit heaven, and then come back and actually remember it. It truly is something that I would have never thought of. It also makes me wonder, could these children who experience it really be telling the truth? I know that kids have much more vivid imaginations than adults, so yes, they could be making this up. However, unlike adults, children are not out for the next get rich quick scheme? Could children like Colton really have experienced something?

I read an article this woman wrote describing it and she said that he did not really die, and that he had an "out of body experience." Regardless of him dying or having that kind of experience, would a child really be able to find out information that he should not have been able to know, vividly describe this place and people, and still remember it. I do not remember things from when I was four, no matter how grandeur and out of place they are. Sometimes, although no one would know and I am sure I am not the first or the last to say this, I wonder if the imaginary friends that kids make up aren't really imaginary. I don't think they are ghosts, that idea is definitely lost on me, but what if children can have this closer connection to God and heaven and all that entails. Think about it, depending upon what religion you are, how modern or classical your beliefs are, and overall your thoughts as a person, there is the idea of original sin. You are born and conceived sinful and therefore you must believe, repent, be baptized, etc. However, how does this work for children who are not yet born? According to Colton, he met his "sister" whom his mother miscarried when he was 2 years old, and they did not know if she was actually a girl or a boy. I know that nobody can ever know, until the day they go to heaven, but it is so unclear.

Anyway, this article also discussed a little girl who drew or had the same descriptions of Jesus, and she is the only person that this little boy has ever said knew exactly what Jesus looked like. I believe and have faith that I will go to heaven, that there is a Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and was sent by God so that no one had to die. This story does not make my faith waver nor does it make me believe anything else. I do, however, think that one can not say that this little boy did or did not experience what he says. He saw, what he saw. He says he watched the doctors operating on him; he saw his mom and dad in different rooms while he was clearly in the operating room; and because he was only 3 or 4 at the time, he is not saying all this for money. I'm going to read the book. Not because I do or don't believe him, but because I'd like to draw my own conclusions. It is the same reason I read, The Shack, not because I will agree or disagree with it, but because I want my own conclusions. I think that story is much more far fetched, yet, perhaps what you see of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, heaven, the angels, and hell is different for each person. Or maybe, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment