Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pray

So my church did a survey titled, "If you could ask God one question..."
They took all the answers and compiled the sermon and lesson series for the last few and next few weeks.
Some examples: Why is there so much suffering? When will the world end? What is my purpose?

Today's question was: What is my purpose?

Now, I think all people want to know what their purpose is. I know I do.
I know that God has planned this life for me.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" Jeremiah 29:11-13 (NIV).

This Bible verse has special meaning for me. When I graduated from 8th grade at a private Lutheran school, it was our class verse. It is a very fitting verse. Each and everyday God has mapped out. But, as pastor B mentioned today in the lesson, is it a manuscript that God has written word for word or is it a brief outline or draft? I like to think of it as an outline in manuscript form. Of course he knows exactly where I will end up. But if I were looking at it, I know it would look like a messy outline or chart. Go this way or that way, He knows what I might choose, but I don't.

With all that being said, I don't know quite what my purpose is, other than to serve and follow Him; love my enemies and my friends; obey His commands; pray often; and listen to what He has said to me.

Finally, although I don't think the answer to the original question was ever really spoken about in church today, it was important the information about praying. We should always be praying. Praying when we are happy and when we are sad; when we are in need or while we are eating; if we're showering, using the restroom, or brushing our teeth. He doesn't care when we pray, just that we do it. We should pray together, and we should pray alone. It should be long and it should be short.

"Rejoice always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I may not know exactly what my purpose in life is, yet, but I know that I should be praying about it any everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment