Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Back Again

My deepest apologies to all those who have been waiting for a new post.  Life happens sometimes, and other things become a priority.  I'm not ready to discuss exactly what I am talking about, but I will some time soon.  

I found this article/video today and wanted to share my thoughts on it.  
I have never been severely or morbidly obese, I have, however, been much more overweight than I would have liked or than I should have been.  


I know we all think in our minds (or most of us) if only I could lose 10 more pounds.  It may be near impossible (10 pounds of my body weight is not the same as 10 pounds of someone who weighs 400 pounds).  What some of the fitness industry and the nutrition industry doesn't seem to understand, or care to understand is that it is not just a physical part of life.  Losing and gaining weight is an emotional and mental battle as well.  

Maybe we are overweight because of a traumatic event, or we never learned how to eat properly and fuel our body.  No matter how many pounds you lose, your mind and emotions are not healed and therefore the daunting task becomes that much more difficult.  I'm not quoting specific, but I'm sure I could find many different statistics to support this notion, but they say that people gain the weight back because they go back to their poor eating habits.  Yes, that might be true, but have you ever thought WHY?  Why do they revert back? Have they not learned anything at all?  

I think so much of the focus is on the lack of education on nutrition and exercise for Americans, which I would greatly agree with, but also on the fact that nobody fixes the inside.  I may not be the girl I was 30 pounds heavier, but my mind hasn't fully wrapped itself around that.  I'm definitely not the only person who has ever felt this way.  If you were abused or you experienced some other traumatizing event as a child and you've never received help for healing that wound, losing 50 pounds won't fix it.  Temporarily, you'll have self-confidence and a boost in your happiness, but until you fix the real problem, you're in a vicious cycle of losing and gaining and losing and gaining.  I know I have been there and done that.  

Life is of course going to give you experiences that are more difficult than others, and that is how we become better people.  Yet, if you never fix the inside issues, you'll always be working towards something that you cant attain.  

I could speak line after line and page after page on this topic.  

So, please, seek help mentally and emotionally to fix the real problem.  
Eat your fruit and veggies, and drink lots of water.
Run, lift, and stretch.


No comments:

Post a Comment