Sunday, January 22, 2012

Conversations in Our Home


If you've ever met Chris and me, you know we are opinionated and "talkers". We both talk a lot. It works well for us as a couple because we can talk to each other all the time, about all kinds of crazy nonsense, but also about super important and difficult subjects. Yesterday we had one of those long talks about a subject that we both find immensely troubling. I have always felt this way, and although I probably have not always made it known on this blog, it is something that I have strong feelings about. My examples might not make much sense, and they might not be the best comparisons, but I assume you'll be able to get my drift.

To begin, Chris and I both feel that people lack morals and values. Of course we are all going to have different morals and values based upon how we were raised, where we were raised, and what we find most important. We refer to the fact that this lack of morals and values has created a lack of respect, compassion, consideration, and common sense.

Respect - People have truly lost respect for others. Whether this be younger people and adults who have authority or authority and those below them. The opinions and lifestyle choices of others are degraded, mocked, and most of all, treated as if the other person is always wrong. I don't think, although I could be wrong, that even as near as 30 years ago, this was prevalent. Rebellious nature was supposed to be a way to be different, not to be disrespectful of others.

Compassion - I can't walk a mile in your shoes, but if you are upset, grieving, or just having a mediocre kind of day, I should empathize with you. I know what that is like, and I should have enough respect for you to at a minimum ask if I can do anything for you. You do have the right to say no, but I should at least ask.

Consideration - This falls with respect, but be considerate of others in all aspects. If someone has lost a child or a loved one, be sensitive to how they might be feeling. It isn't right to go mocking or teasing in a scenario, when your neighbor is experiencing the same thing.

Common sense - Don't let your daughters who are 13 dress like they are 25. Don't let your children out on their own without supervision. Don't encourage playing with knives, fire, etc. Teach proper safety tips. Express the respect that woman should receive and that a man should give. Set a good example for your children, and those around them.

Our main example in this was, as everyone is talking about, Tim Tebow. Yes, I don't think he is the greatest quarterback to play the game, but does that make him a bad person? Absolutely not. If he so chooses to speak on abstinence and waiting until marriage to become sexually active, is there anything wrong with that? Is he any less of a man or a person for that choice? No, he is not. He respects his mother, and women around him. Is it so wrong to be a kind, considerate, respectful person, like him? Would you prefer your son to grow up like him or Tommy Lee?

No comments:

Post a Comment