Thursday, April 12, 2012

There is Good in This World

Sometimes I get caught up in my selfish ways, or I get caught up in my life, and don't notice the things around me. Yet, when I do they hit me like a ton of bricks.
Chris and I went to get dinner. We were in line, behind a man. I wasn't paying very close attention, just patiently waiting my turn. I then saw that he wasn't speaking and was writing down what he wanted. I then realized, he was deaf. I'm a pretty patient person and I wasn't really bothered by it. When it was finally our turn, the man gave us free sodas for our inconvenience. I wasn't inconvenienced in any way. In fact, it broke my heart to think that had there been anyone else in line, they would have been upset.

The man at the cash register and the girl behind the counter went above and beyond what anyone would have expected of them for this man. I assume he regularly frequents that place, because they were so nice and kind to him. Much more than any other people would be.

As I've been thinking about it, and I can't stop thinking about it, I also don't think they made him pay for his food. I just think that this world needs more people like this, and less people who would become impatient or irritated with this man. All he wanted was food, who knows what other circumstances his life has handed him (poor, alone, etc.) and these employees were beyond kind and amazing. Words can not even begin to describe how I felt in there. I started tearing up and every time I think about it I start to cry (I'm a crier, what can I say), tears of happiness for such a loving and kind way of treating people, and tears of sadness for those who don't get treated this way.

Thank you Miguel and Jenni at Rubios (even though you may never read this) for restoring my faith in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment